Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Toys are awesome. What does everyone out there collect?  (Read 57050 times)

Offline aimeemarie

Toys are awesome. What does everyone out there collect?
« on: Wednesday 10 March 2010, 08:32 pm »
I'll start:

I collect:
  • Weird random small dolls from the 60's and 70's with no rhyme or reason or regards to condition.  I just have to think they're cute.  no Barbies.
  • The female characters from action figure lines aimed towards boys (especially Masters of the Universe and Marvel characters)
  • Replacements for the exact toys I had as a child (this is a very varied, but generally encompasses the core years of 1980-1987, the years I was old enough to ask santa for specific things)
  • Dolls with green hair 
  • Blythe dolls
  • My Little Pony (to be honest, it's less that I actively collect and more that I still have my collection these days)
  • Gumby
  • Mothman toys
  • Woodland-y toys that look like they could be related to the smurfs but are not smurfs themselves.  Mushroom themed things are a bonus 
  • smurfs playsets and accessories (but no actual smurfs)
  • various specific urban vinyl (treeson, David Hogarth, and some other assorted ones tthat I enjoy)
  • The Wonder frog series by Studio Uoo, but only specific pieces

I am not a completist.  I will rip open NRFB old stock with glee.
I prefer to find things at flea markets and thrift stores and then identifying them to actively purchasing things (although I sure as heck do a lot of that as well)

I've been using this site since very very shortly after it came into being to help identify my finds, and jog my memory towards things I'd forgotten!

Offline Zenoah

• Made in 1984
Re: Toys are awesome. What does everyone out there collect?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 March 2010, 11:29 pm »
Anything I can find that's a cat. Im currently going after the Little Pet Shop cats.

Offline ianthe99

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 March 2010, 11:53 pm »
Omg! Sooo much!

My Little Pony (Mostly! I have near 400 vintage!
Strawberry Shortcake
Moondreamers
My Child
Jem
She Ra
Charmkins
Make me up Darlings
My Little Angel
Little Litters
Lady Lovely Locks

Seriously.. if it's 80's girl.. I probably have some. I buy almost ANYTHING that I find thrifting.. so if you're looking for it.. I might have it.

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 March 2010, 04:37 am »
Oh, man, I collect a lot.

-Pretty much any toy I loved as a child. Jem, Rose Petal Place, Chipettes, Battle Beasts, Monster in My Pocket, She-Ra, Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, Star Fairies, Muppet Babies, My Little Pony, Hot Looks, and a bunch more.

-80s toys I've rediscovered. If it's a girls' line, there's a good chance I collect it or at least have one item that I like best. I also like the female figures from boy lines. I still have my childhood Cheetara, Teela and Evil-Lyn. I'll collect Evil-Lyn in any form. I love her.

-Other dolls: I like playline and higher end fashion dolls in all sizes. I also like 18" character dolls like American Girl, Magic Attic Club, Karito Kids, Stardust Classics, etc. I have a few BJDs, too. Ones from Dream of Doll and Rosette School of Dolls are my faves.  

I also have a bunch of stuffed animals and random cute little PVC figures.

Offline Candice

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 March 2010, 04:54 am »
Mostly just trying to get all of my old toys back, but I've collected a lot of Barbies. Really want to get some more Precious Places too. Those need to be on here I think, they're an awesome 80s toy. I love dollhouses :D

Offline ladyfenrir

« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 March 2010, 01:28 pm »
I collect...

my little pony (only the 80's ones) and have... 500? 600? more? not sure!

popples - only missing around 15 of them now! I only collect the plushies ^^

lady lovely locks - I have quite a few of the playsets mib, but I would rather have them loose so I can play with them XD also have a few dolls mib + my entire childhood collection of dolls and extras :)

fairy tails - those colorful birds from hasbro... only missing about 10-15 of them now.

kiss a loves - I have 4 different ones, of which one is semi-moc... her bubble is very loose. ;__;

sweetie pups and kitties - ok, I only have one, but I do want to collect them!

care bears - don't actively collect them, just keep the stuff I happen to find :)

polly pocket - again, don't actively collect them but I still have over 30 houses, many since childhood ^^

and the list goes on and on and on...

Offline Ghost Of The Doll

• Administrator
    • Powder Monki
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 March 2010, 05:12 pm »
I'd love to see photo's of your collections, some of you must have to have whole rooms devoted to your toys! I don't collect any more, except for in a virtual sense!
Buy retro PIN BADGES and FRIDGE MAGNETS on Powder Monki!

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 March 2010, 04:51 am »
My room pictures from last August are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/venivididolli/sets/72157622020319413/

Displays have changed since then, but the basic layout is the same. My doll LJ has more recent pics.

Offline ianthe99

« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 March 2010, 07:28 am »
My room pictures from last August are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/venivididolli/sets/72157622020319413/

Displays have changed since then, but the basic layout is the same. My doll LJ has more recent pics.

WOW! What a collection!

Offline Tribble79

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 March 2010, 05:21 am »
Very jealous of your toy room... It is LOVELY!!!!! Currently I collect what I can/ when I can of the following....
Boglins
Strawberry Shortcake (Souffle the skunk and sourball the skunk) Right now I have no SSC stuff
Furrever Friends http://www.flickr.com/photos/goblin_giggles/4439446289/
Pixie Tails and Comb Gnomes from Lady Lovely Locks http://www.flickr.com/photos/goblin_giggles/4439447041/
Keypers (Snail only)
Snails from all toy types
Insects/Bugs from all toy types
Glow bugs
My Pet Monster
Castle Keep Gargoyles (I only have one of these from childhood and it is missing it's tail) http://www.flickr.com/photos/goblin_giggles/4440232568/
Gizmo (Gremlins)
Troll Dolls (I have LOTS of these, but nowhere to display my lovely trolls)
Little Blossom from avon (right now I don't have any of these but would love to add them to my collection)
Snugglebumms (waiting to add some of these to my collection)
Fantasy Fillies (None of these in my collection right now, but hopefully soon)

Offline jenniferf82

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 March 2010, 08:04 am »
I pretty much an 80's 90's toy hoarder..  If it's 80's or 90's and I find it cheap at the local thrift it joins my random collection.. lol
My stuff is basically stored in totes at the moment as I'm in a TINY space..  We're moving in a month and then I'll have a spare bedroom for my collections..
I collect My little ponies, sweetie pups and kitties (have most of them), some Rainbow Brite, Popples (just original 9 so far), Zoo Borns that I have just two of. I have Lady Lovely Locks stuff and piles of Care Bears both vintage and new, even a few UK exclusives..  I *think* I have all of the Nosy Bears.. My next big collection is going to be Tea Bunnies. I had never been that wild about them till I found some at Goodwill, now I must have them all!

Offline DreamDancer

• The Bit the Dust Tape
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 March 2010, 01:24 am »
Hi all! Newbie here. What better way to introduce myself than to tell about my toy collection?

My Little Pony. G1 mostly. I have every single pony that ever appeared in the original My Little Pony 'n Friends series (and this includes the ponies from the two pilots, "Rescue at Midnight Castle" and "Escape from Catrina")

80's Barbie dolls. I was never much of a Barbie Girl growing up, but I'm making up for lost time.

Strawberry Shortcake. The only character I'm missing is the elusive Banana Twirl, but I'm not willing to shell out the big bucks she generally goes for (I'm not a serious collector)

Care Bears. I still have all thirteen of my childhood Care Bears, plus all six US Care Bear cousins.

Popples. All nine originals.

Charmkins. I originally just wanted all the Charmkins characters from their TV cartoon, but I ended up with some more in one lot on eBay that I don't think I want to part with now (though I'll have to go back to the Charmkins website I found so I can identify them)

Rose Petal Place. All six original dolls, plus the Roadster and the cottage

Cabbage Patch Kids and Koosas. Still have four dolls from the 80's (two were purchased during the craze, one after it died down, and one my mom won at a Church event), two preemies, and my original childhood kitty Koosa

Basically, my collection is pretty complete now, but there might be one or two "stragglers" about that I'm still looking for. I mainly joined to see if I could be of any help in ID-ing toys. I'm by no means an expert, but you never know when your knowledge, little or a lot as it may be, will come in handy, right?

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 March 2010, 11:45 am »
I collect a lot of things that I had when I was younger. It seems like every time I remember something I want to find it again! I'm completely obsessed with Rose-Petal Place and Bubble Belles, especially recently.
I also collect:
Sailor Moon
Mermaids. I'm currently really searching for Mer-wees.
Gwen Stefani-Does it still count as collecting if I have all of the dolls?
Wizard of Oz. Mostly toys from when I was little, and any version of the Wicked Witch.
She-Ra
The girls and Mer-Man of MOTU
The Girls of Batman. Especially the baddies
X-men- pretty much just Storm
Japanese Barbies and Bratz.
Things I have little or none of that I'd like to collect more of:
Jem
Strawberry Shortcake
Herself the Elf
Rainbow Brite
MoonDreamers
My Pretty Mermaids
Shimmers
Sea Wees
Peppermint Rose
Faries of Cottingley Glen
Capcom girls
Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders
Spectra-or really any fun spacey dolls
Castle Keeps Gargoyles

OK!!! I'll be done thinking of things I collect and want to collect.. but I'm sure I left something out! Dx I am hoping to start getting pictures of my collections. I just barely got a camera that doesn't have a lost charger so I'll post pics when I can. ^-^
« Last Edit: Friday 19 March 2010, 11:54 am by BattySparkles »

Offline DarkAnjel77

« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 April 2010, 01:53 am »
Hi all!!

I have been collecting for about 6 years.

I collect:

-My Little Pony-mostly G1,  I probably have around 350.
-Brush-A-Loves
-Lost N Founds
-Boudiour Dolls
-OLD dolls-  I love collecting the old/unusual dolls.  I have a pretty good collection.
-Alice in Wonderland-vintage
-Vintage Hello Kitty/Sanrio-I would love to finds some playsets
-Maxie
-80's Barbies
-Horror Movie stuff-  Jason is my favorite!!
-Living Dead Dolls
-Poochie
-Serendipity books
-LPS
-My precious Puffs
-Wee Wild Things
-Fairykins-They are tiny 1 inch fairies made by Lanard some years back.
-And lots more

So basically any girls late 70's/80's/early 90's toys.  I have an addiction.  I love to go to Antique malls, thrift store, flea markets and yard sales.  You never know what you will find.

Offline mouse

« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 April 2010, 02:24 pm »
I collect a lot of stuff too!

Sylvanian families (I have a number of buildings and lots of people - I need some more furniture)
Kenner Littlest Pet Shop - trying to complete my collection
G2 Hasbro littlest pet shop - I probaby have like 500 or something. I've gone off collecting them and want to cull them down.
Furryville - not actively collecting, I just bought a bunch when they were selling them off!
Poodle stuff
Mouse Stuff
Bunny stuff
Trolls - not actively collecting
Neopets PVC figures/sets - we only got the faerieland ones released over here and I'm missing one set
Puppy in my pocket - I have a few g2's and my orignal g1 set - I'd like to get more. Not interested in the kitties but I like all the other animals and the new baby in my pocket is pretty cute!
My little pony - not actively collecting. I really want first tooth tic-tac-toe and quackers
Schleich
Harry Potter stuff
Lord of the rings stuff (not actively collecting anymore)
Teeny Weeny Families
Childrens books
Lucky BeeBee charms

I also have one or two random things from different lines - pound puppies, care bears, popples (I want more popples!) I love all different kinds of toys. I am trying to cut down on stuff and limit what I buy (though you wouldn't know it!)

I love things that incorporate toys but that you can use  - bags, jewellery, sheet sets, accessories. I love in when 'adult' brands use toys and characters in their designs.