Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Side Sitting Mermaids (UPDATE!)  (Read 19610 times)

Offline BattySparkles

Side Sitting Mermaids (UPDATE!)
« on: Wednesday 01 September 2010, 06:30 am »
UPDATE BEGIN
I am now convinced that these mermaids are part of the "Mermaid Princess" line. BUT! Another VERY similar doll has popped up and I'd like to get her ID'd if possible. I'm also still looking for a MIP side sitting mermaid for further proof that they are from the "Mermaid Princess" line.
Here is the new side sitting mermaid in question! I spotted her in an ebay lot. Her head is different and quite a bit bigger, her arms are different, and her fin is different.

So just to make things clear, I have ID'd the original side sitting mermaids as "Mermaid Princess" and the new doll is the one I'm seeking an ID on. She may be a knock off of the original mermaids in question.
UPDATE END

Ok. There's been a little bit of discussion about these mermaids already, but it's time they get their own ID thread.
They are marked "T &T 90   MADE IN CHINA".
They are about 4" from butt to head.
There are also new cheapie dolls being sold that use a variation of the same mold. The new dolls are simply called "Pretty Mermaid".

The two on the left are who we're trying to ID. The two on the right are the new "Pretty Mermaids"

I know there are at least 3 variations of the mer-dolls in question. Blonde, pink haired, and purple haired.
Here is the purple version:

I don't know if the brush originally came with her or not.

I am thinking that they might be an extension of this "Mermaid Princess" doll line: I am quite positive that they ARE part of the "Mermaid Princess" line. Everything about them points to it. They are marked T&T (the company that made Mermaid Princess), they have pink, blonde, or purple hair-like the other Mermaid Princess dolls, and even their faces look similar to the other dolls in the line.

They seem to have similar looking faces and the purple hair looks to be about the same color on both. I know for sure that there is also a blonde Mermaid Princess doll and I believe the following doll is also a Mermaid Princess doll:

Unknown Doll with Pink Hair by vikk007, on Flickr
If she is indeed from the Mermaid Princess line I'd say it's very likely that the side sitting mermaids are as well.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 06 October 2010, 11:11 am by BattySparkles »

Offline zap18

Re: Side Sitting Mermaids
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 September 2010, 04:32 pm »
I can say for sure that the last pink haired doll was indeed a mermaid.  Does that help?  I had her growing up, so I am certain.  The fins of the doll above her look right.

Edit:  I have a what I believe is a newer one, but she is still in her clothes so the pic might help:

« Last Edit: Wednesday 01 September 2010, 04:38 pm by zap18 »

Offline Fairy Dust

« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 2010, 06:48 am »
I used to have a mermaid like the sitting blonde one.  It was small and cheap.  If I remember correctly she was about $3-$4 at Kaybee Toy Store when I bought her in the early 90's.  I don't recall anything else about them though.
« Last Edit: Friday 07 October 2011, 03:52 am by Fairy Dust »

Offline Venefica

« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 2010, 12:43 pm »
I had both one of those side sitting dolls or a doll that looked allot like it when I was a little girl. I remember i bought her in Denmark but I do not remember what the name of th doll was. The brush came with mine if I do not remember wrong. I also had a Mermaid Princess doll, though mine was from a gift set that also included two babies. I do not think they are the same as the side sitting doll is very much smaller while the Mermaid princess doll is Barbie size and I used to play with her along side my Barbies, she could use the same clothes as Barbie. I had both dolls at the same time for I do not know 17 years ago or so.

Offline JPP

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 September 2010, 05:30 am »
I thought there was a place on here with these - I have the purple haired one - but mine has curly hair.

Offline pikapal

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 September 2010, 08:02 am »
There were also fashions made for these Mermaid Princess dolls.

http://www.1000barbies.com/06B/SUC50641.JPG

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 September 2010, 12:10 pm »
These have been talked about in another thread, but I wanted to give them their own thread.

I know the side sitting mermaids are smaller than the Barbie-like ones, but I think they are an extension of the line.

I've seen a couple of fashions pop up on ebay for the Mermaid Princess line. Thanks for sharing that pikapal. I hadn't seen a triple pack like that.

Offline EmBee

;)

Offline EmBee

Re: Side Sitting Mermaids (UPDATE!)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 October 2010, 04:28 am »
;)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 October 2010, 06:54 am »
Another Mermaid Princess Fashion Set:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MERMAID-PRINCESS-FANTASY-FASHIONS-11-1-2-INCH-DOLLS-NIP-/250711006983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5f8a5f07

-Em

Thanks! That looks neat!

Two NOC Pretty Mermaid dolls (Side sitting mermaids):

http://www.ioffer.com/i/pretty-mermaid-doll-pink-hair-131903477
http://www.ioffer.com/i/pretty-mermaid-doll-green-hair-169795688

-Em

Those are the new versions. I have quite a few of them. If you happen across the older versions please let me know! Well.. I'm sure you would, so I'm not sure why I requested it. haha

Offline EmBee

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 October 2010, 07:21 am »
You're welcome!

Oh really?  Okay, sorry - I couldn't tell!  XD;

Oh yes I will keep an eye out.  >: D
-Em
;)

Offline EdenEye

« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 October 2010, 04:03 pm »
I found one of those Non-ID'd side sitting mermaids at the thift store. Now where did I put her?

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 October 2010, 04:08 pm »
I don't know but I hope you find her! ^-^

Offline Linkachu100

« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 October 2010, 06:55 am »
I just found something interesting.
http://dropdeadkawaii.blogspot.com/2010/04/regretsy-where-diy-meets-wtf.html
I think the second photo has one of the unidentified side sitting mermaids.