Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: V.C. Andrews books  (Read 12048 times)

Offline EdenEye

V.C. Andrews books
« on: Wednesday 22 September 2010, 04:47 am »
I am wondering who else on here is a fan of reading V.C. Andrews books?

I have read the Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger) series as well as the stand-alone book My Sweet Audrina.
I am now on the 2nd book of the Dawn (Cutler) series. I can't but it down!

If you judge a book by its cover (which I do often unfortunately) you might have seen these books and assumed they are some corny romance novels. But they are so twisted and freaky and completely awesome to read!

If you haven't read any, I suggest just picking up Flowers in the Attic at a thift store for a buck or two and reading it. Out of all the books I have read, that one is still my favorite.

Here is an extremely informative website that I really like : http://www.completevca.com/

Let me know what you all think!

Offline Rider of the storm

Re: V.C. Andrews books
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 2010, 01:56 am »
I read the prequel to the petals in the wind called "garden of shadows" . I though the author kind of did not like guys  but that is just me over all the books are addictive.

Offline EdenEye

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 2010, 05:15 am »
Garden of Shadows is the 5th book but prequel to the first 4 books. That last book is meant to answer a lot of questions about the previous books. Its meant to be read last. :) V.C. Andrews stories definetly have a love/hate relationship with men, maybe that is one of the reasons I love them, because I can relate.

Offline Ianua

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 September 2010, 11:32 pm »
I read quite a lot of them as a kid and agree the 1st 2 series were great. Unfortunately after them she died and they became ghost written after the heaven series and got a little repetitive
I think it's the second book of the dawn series that actually has an entire paragraph just lifted stright from the flowers in the attice book. If you continue to work your way through them look out for it I can remember being quite shocked by the quite blatent repitition even at 12 :) Keep the flowers in the attic book because you'll definitely recognise the repeated scene when you come across it :) xxxx

Offline jadedoz

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 October 2010, 11:53 am »
I read almost all of the series when I was a young teenager and loved them. Ironically I just bought the whole series off ebay a week ago and plan to read the series again.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 January 2011, 10:51 pm »
never read them but wow those covers are almost enough to induce nightmares i am more of a R.L.Stine fan

Offline Fairy Dust

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 January 2011, 11:10 pm »
I used to read these.  They are pretty good.  I've cycled through so many types of books- horror, romance, mystery, young adult.  It think I might repick them up one day.  I used to have so many of them and I sold them all many years ago.  I think if I remember right my favorites series was the Cutler books (Dawn and her daughter).

I stopped reading them after I received some of the Wildflower books.

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 2011, 04:32 am »
I've read a few of the series.

I always buy books rather than borrow them.

But yeah..... after I finished the Wildflower series, I sold it. Yuck.

I'm reading "The Runaways" right now, and have a few "new" ones to read after that. Can't remember what they're called right off hand, though...

Offline TheMinorityof1990

« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 2012, 09:35 am »
I love them. I agree some of them are repetitive, but the Heaven series is one of my favs.

My aunt collects them too, but she goes  by the covers rather than the titles, so she sometimes buys doubles. She's given me a lot of the books in the series. I think she gave the entire Heaven series after I bought the first one.

anything
anything