Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Favorite Children's Books  (Read 19328 times)

Offline EdenEye

Favorite Children's Books
« on: Tuesday 15 March 2011, 07:14 am »
I thought it would be fun to find out what everyone's favorite children's books are. I have recently remembered  some that I had completely forgotten! Here are a few:

Tikki Tikki Tembo
A very cool story about 2 boys in China, one with a very short name and one with a very long name.

Anything Robert Munsch

Especially "I Have to Go", "Something Good", "Thomas' Snowsuit", and "Moira's Birthday".

Fear Street books
I loved these books, I think I have them all. I was never into Goosebumps though :)

ISpy Books
I will never be too old for these.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 15 March 2011, 07:16 am by EdenEye »

Offline KrystalTips

Re: Favorite Children's Books
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 2011, 11:05 am »
Goosebump books I read the whole lot I couldn't get enough of them at one stage in my life lol

my fav book though I can't find on the net or over my mums it was about a female wolf lookin for a suitor but she had more than tail and refused all other foxes with less tails than her then one fox came along with loads of tails lol. Very odd but I loved it wonder what it was calle lol xxx 
WANTED:- Matchbox Carousel Horses, Tonka Keypers and Disney Wuzzles!

Offline catlover51

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 2011, 12:27 am »
LOVE Tikki Tikki Tembo! My mother used to read it to me so often I had the long name memorized for years. Now I only remember parts. I will be checking it out from my library tomorrow.  :)
I read Animal Inn and books similiar to it. Anything with animals especially veternarians. Mrs Piggle Wiggle & Amelia Bedelia were also favs.
I have to admit I am still addicted to the I Spys and Look and Find books.

Offline mouse

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 March 2011, 02:29 am »
My favourite picture books when I was little were Jillian Jiggs (we had the one where she was messy and the one with the pigs - I still don't know how the messy one ended because our copy as I remember it has always been missing the last couple of pages!). I also really liked Possum Magic, Sebastian (a book about hand rearing a baby wombat it is soooooo cute!) and I liked random fairytale books and disney stories. Although I never had the books (until quite recently!) I really liked the hairy maclariy series and the book Wilfren Gordon Mcdonald Partridge by Mem fox. Like catlover I also loved anything with animals and quite often I'd get out animal identification books out from the library and whilst I didn't read a lot of them my sister and I loved looking at the pictures and I know with books identifying shells and butterflies (they tend to show a lot of different types on each page) we would go through and pick our favourite one from each grouping. Oh we also have a MASSIVE (as in giant size, like the kind they have at libraries or schools to read in class so everyone can see the words and the pictures) copy of a Brambley Hedge book that shows all the homes and where everyone lives. It was more of a companion guide to Brambley Hedge because it didn't really tell a story but I loved the illustrations  of the mice in all their little rooms! Oh and Spot! and Narnia. Oh and I had two golden glow in the dark books, one was called spooky house and one was called stars moons and clouds and I had a bannanas in pyjamas book I really liked (the illustrations are so cute!) and I had some serendipity books I enjoyed (we never had the one with the flying horse, I wanted that one so bad!). Cat Balloon, I liked that (where is that.... I don't remember seeing at my sisters.... hmmm....) Pretty much all of my childhood picture books are at my sisters for her kids so I'll have to go and look at them and then post more 'oh and oh'!

As for actual word books I had a big collection of R.L Stine and Babysitters Club. Enid Blyton - not the secret seven or the books that were more like a series but the more sort of random books filled with different short stories. I read so many YA and childrens books now that I'm finding it difficult to remember what I liked when I was really a kid and I've started to like since then! I did used to like those Animal Ark books and also I liked random books of animal stories (quite often made by Scholastic) with titles like 5 dog stories that were supposed to be true stories of amazing things animals had done.

Childrens/YA books I've liked as I've gotten older are 'Time Stops for no Mouse' and the next one in the series 'Sands of Time', Harry Potter series, Artemis Fowl series (though not the last book time paradox,  I thought that was sucky), Graeme Base books (if you like ones with secrets pictures these are awesome!) The Golden Compass books (actually called His Dark Materials Trilogy but most people know the golden compass) The Rats of Nimh is quite good, as is the tale of Desperaux and I really like The Amazing Maurice and his educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett as well as his books about Tiffany Aching. I did like the Darren Shan vampire books until the end and the same with the vampire series by Christopher Pike. By Melina Marchetta I like Saving Francesca and Looking for Alibrandi, and I think I like on the Jellicoe road but I'll have to read it again because I didn't really get some of it! I also really really used to like the 'Tomorrow' series by John Marsden and then he wrote the 'Ellie Chronicles' and there's some stuff in the Ellie chronicles that has made me look at the writer and therefore the books in a bad light. I now have all the Brambley Hedge books and I still love the pictures. Peter Pan - I never read the book 'til I was older and it's a really nice story. The Sheep Pig/Ace are pretty good as is Martins Mice.

I know a fair amount of what I've said is on the cusp of YA/adult but it was intended for children. It's good that more adults are reading YA books because a lot of them can be enjoyed by adults. From Richard Adams I have read and liked Watership Down, Tales from Watership Down, Plauge Dogs and Shardik but I'm not sure if they're meant to be YA or adult. Shardik I think is meant for adults (it's for some pretty extreme stuff in there) and I also really liked the book Tender Morsels that is marketed as adult or YA depending on the country and is a pretty full on adaptation of the story of Snow white and Rose Red.

I like a lot of books!

Offline pikapal

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 March 2011, 05:09 am »
I liked the American Girl Samantha books. The Stinky Cheeseman book. I liked the Eyewitness books. I use to like books about science. The Wayside School books.

Offline Cherry Chip

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 2011, 09:57 pm »
Goodnight Moon - it's such a simple book but I always loved the pictures and everything
Pat the Bunny
Where's Waldo? books
The Berenstain Bears books
Dr. Seus books
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Shell Silverstein books
Nancy Drew books
The Chronicles of Narnia
Little House on the Prairie
The Westing Game
Bridge to Terabithia
The Very Quiet Cricket - my grandparents who lived far away sent me that book with a recording of them reading it.  I loved it.
The Rainbow Fish
The Little Match Girl
The Big Hungry Bear
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Fortunately, Unfortunately
Stargirl
Flipped
All those Disney books that make sounds

Omg, there's too many to list and some I can't remember the names of.

Edit:  I remembered another:  The True Story if the 3 Little Pigs!  I was in a school play based on that book in first grade.  I won the part of one of the three little pigs.  Had I known that's what we were playing this trivia game for I would have lost on purpose! lol  The other kids in the play (besides the other two pigs) were all 6th graders.  After the play everyone in the school voted on who they thought was guilty or whatever.  The stupid wolf won of course.
« Last Edit: Friday 25 March 2011, 07:58 pm by Cherry Chip »

Offline mouse

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 March 2011, 12:05 am »
The very hungry caterpillar! Another awesome book I never had (and still don't - I never seem to be able to find it on sale)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 March 2011, 03:24 am »
well i do not have any favorite ones but one i love dearly is a first edition copy called

the tale of the enchanted bunnies it is form 1923 and yes it is a real first edition and all the illustrations are there

Offline catlover51

« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 March 2011, 11:29 pm »
Mouse- Terry Pratchett is the best. He is my all time fav! I didn't discover him till late teens. I now have nearly everything he has written.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 March 2011, 12:17 am »
well i do have two of the Dr.Doolittle books both from 1926 and 1924 as well as 4 /14 original antique copies of the wizard of oz series and i also have some of the serendipity press series by cosgrove i am missing quite a few of them.

Offline jazzmatazz

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 March 2011, 03:57 am »
I'm really big into children's literature, I have a good sized collection of it too. A lot of picture books as I'm a graphic design major I've started picking up books I loved as a kid and new books that have wonderful art work.

Books that haven't been already mentioned:
Spunky
Captain Underpants
Curious George
Clifford
Arthur
The Baby Unicorn
Birth of the Firebringer (trilogy)
The Witch of Blackbird pond
Golden Books. Especially: The Monster At The End Of This Book
The Trumpet of the swan
Where's Waldo
Alice In Wonderland
Animorphs
Animal Ark Series
Stone Fox
Hatchet
My Side Of The Mountain
Mouse Count/ Mouse Paint
Where The Wild Things Are
The Wolves in the Walls
The Dog Who Had Kittens
Steven Kellogg's Pecos Bill
The Quilt Maker's Gift
Stellaluna
The Littlest Angel
The White Mountains (Tripod Series)
Redwall
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - I recently rediscovered this book!
We're Going On A Bear Hunt

Sorry for the long list  ::) I couldn't help myself there was so much that hasn't been mentioned, if you need help with an author for the titles listed let me know.

Offline mouse

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 March 2011, 06:25 am »
Little Golden Books! Everyone has some of those. I always sort of ignored them in op-shops but now when I see them I have a look through because they did a fair amount of character books.

Stellaluna has wonderful pictures and We're going on a Bear Hunt is a classic.

Offline Eilonwe

« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 March 2011, 05:19 pm »
My favorite children's book is called Peppermint.

My childhood edition is paperback with an orange cover. This one's a hardback. I have the orange one, too, but I scanned this one a few years ago.

Other faves (both from childhood and now):
Ramona series
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
Encyclopedia Brown
Berenstain Bears
Sleepover Friends
Generation Girl
Thea Sisters (Geronimo Stilton spinoff)
Disney Fairies
Archie chapter books
Anastasia series
American Girl series
The Great Ideas of Lila Fenwick

I also loved the old Jem, Barbie and the Rockers, She-Ra, and Muppet Babies books, amongst others inspired by cartoons and toys.

Offline mouse

« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 March 2011, 02:44 am »
Oh I've remembered another childrens book series. These books are written by an Australian and I'm not sure if it's a series that you other country people will have seen. Anyway it's called Nanny Piggins.

http://www.raspratt.com/

Ooh I see she's written two more after looking on the website. It's not a YA series, I think it's more like 10+ or something?

Offline Dragonette

« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 April 2011, 04:08 pm »
I had a lot of favorites too!

Where the Wild Things Are
Shel Silverstein, especially The Giving Tree
Dr. Seuss is one of my favorites!
Chocolate Moose For Dinner
Amelia Bedelia
Freckle Juice and Superfudge
Curious George
Liked Mother Goose Rhymes, lol I read them now and they seem rather morbid as well as some of the old fairy tales, but still love them!
Velvateen Rabbit
Indian in the Cupboard
Corduroy

Man so many to name!

anything