Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: 10 banned toys article & disturbing  (Read 24633 times)

Offline catlover51

10 banned toys article & disturbing
« on: Saturday 10 September 2011, 01:57 am »
had to share I had (and still have) some
http://www.cnbc.com/id/44426734
« Last Edit: Tuesday 04 October 2011, 03:34 am by catlover51 »

Offline ecpblue

• Check out Precious Places on Facebook!!
    • Precious Places
Re: 10 banned toys article
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 2011, 02:27 am »
Thanks for sharing!!  This was so interesting, here is a question though it shows the easy bake over and how it was recalled b/c it was a front loader, how do easy bake ovens "load" now?  I thought they all loaded in the front? 

also I remember all the news that was associated with sky dancers that certainly was crazy and something I did myself many times!!

Not really sure how I feel about gwen thompson, thoughts anyone?

I really do not understand why happy family midge was pulled when so many other barbies and dolls like this survived?

Please "like" my precious places facebook page!! 
https://www.facebook.com/PreciousPlaces

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 September 2011, 03:12 pm »
Speaking of easy bake some one at the local antique mall has one of the original easy bake that still is in the box I want to say it dates to the 1960's or 1970's I cant remember.

Offline Snork_Maiden

« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 2011, 09:38 am »
I really do not understand why happy family midge was pulled when so many other barbies and dolls like this survived?

I don't get it, either. I had a pregnant Barbie equivalent (I think it was a Steffi) myself, and it was such fun to play with (until you inevitably lost the baby, that is). I don't see how it can promote teenage pregnancy. Midge is not a teenager. She's an adult woman, she's even married. What more can parents ask for?

As for the Playmobil, I can't see the problem there, either. The security check is part of every airport. If you produce airport playsets, it's only logical to have a security check playset, too.

The concept of having a homeless doll is a little weird. I'm not sure who was supposed to buy it or what the company hoped to achieve by it. Is it supposed to be some kind of social criticism? "This is Gwen. She's been living in a car with her mum for ten months because her heartless landlord threw them out when Mum failed to come up with the rent. The government has not yet found her alternative lodgings..." *shrugs*

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 September 2011, 12:43 am »
recalling the easy bake oven ???  i remember the first creepy crawlers oven was a hot plate with only a thin rim around it ! you could really burn yourself if you were not  careful and somehow while playing with it i never got burned!

i also had an easy bake oven and we played with it just fine !

Offline Wardah

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 September 2011, 12:48 am »
It wasn't all Easy Bake Ovens. Hasbro has redesigned the Easy Bake oven several times. One particular redesign had problems but all other ones never were recalled.

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 September 2011, 12:52 am »
Snork_Maiden I had one of those dolls as well but lost the stomach that covered the baby :-)

I agree though, you would think that it promotes an more "idealized, healthy life style" but who knows, I think there is probably at least some person out there who could argue any toy and how it could be "bad"

Offline pikapal

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 September 2011, 03:11 am »
recalling the easy bake oven ???  i remember the first creepy crawlers oven was a hot plate with only a thin rim around it ! you could really burn yourself if you were not  careful and somehow while playing with it i never got burned!

i also had an easy bake oven and we played with it just fine !

My aunt had Incredible Edibles which was also a hot plate.

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 2011, 05:42 am »
Since we were just talking about this I wanted to share, new easy bake oven

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/14/easybake-oven-loses-bulb_n_961765.html?1316033838&ncid=webmail17

Offline hime

« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 September 2011, 04:30 pm »
I actualy have a couple of those lol!(cpk snaketime and a skydancer)

but I'm surprised they didn't mention the viper from the 70s battlestar glalactica a kid chocked to death on a springloaded missle thus causing a 20 year moritorium on springloaded missles (as well as the cancellation of rocketfiring boba fett)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 September 2011, 02:04 am »
haha! Fun read!
I remember when that Easy Bake was banned. The recall notice at Walmart was a little horrifying to read. It said something along the lines of "Children can get their hand or arm stuck in the oven and get burned." Still, my cousin kept the thing for her kids..

Offline Stefanie

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 08:17 pm »
The title of the OP is a bit misleading... these aren't necessarily banned toys, they are failed toys, and many of them were recalled. That's quite a different thing.  I proudly designed a couple of the 'failed' toys, I worked on the CPK Snacktime Kids, and we were so upset about the recall. We designers felt that it was completely contrived to sue Mattel- maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. One of my fellow designers had long hair, and we used to sit and try to feed her hair to the doll, and it never worked. The doll always stopped chewing. Mattel folklore was that a huge shipment of dolls, which were somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean was unceremoniously dumped into the water. I have no idea if that's true, or just folklore! I don't want to start any unfounded rumors, but I think the whole episode was pretty sad.

Although I didn't work on the original Galoob Sky Dancer dolls, I did design all of the launchers and playsets for the Jakks Pacific (Playalong Toys) relaunch in the early 2000s. This line lasted for at least a couple of years, they had improved the wings by this time so that they were softer and less a 'weapon'.  They were so cute!
« Last Edit: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 08:24 pm by Stefanie »

Offline ecpblue

• Precious Places
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 September 2011, 09:57 pm »
I am kind of glad you said that.  It was something I noticed but did not think to mention.  I also find it interesting to hear from the "other" side as I am sure that you work so hard on something it has to be devastating when it doesn't work out and is recalled.  I also know that toys really are tested before they hit the market and when something goes wrong fingers are always pointed even when at times I am sure it is user error!  Thanks so much for sharing your side!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 September 2011, 04:28 pm »
i am still trying to figure out how in the world someone cracked a rib on a sky dancer. I had some of the originals and the ones with the soft wings that did not fly as well. We never launched them at each other but often we would launch them into the ceiling/wall accidentally. Looking back they were very very fun toys and i am sad that they were recalled. It annoys me that even with rigorous testing, trial runs, and very well thought out/ explicit warnings stuff still happens.  If we just use common sense and do not play with the toys other than what they were original intended for there should be no problem. so even if something does happen it does not give us the right to sue the maker of said toys. Do the common people even know what goes on during development ? the countless hours/efforts made to ensure the toy meets safety standards?

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 September 2011, 06:05 pm »

I knew a guy who had this TMNT wall and he said it would put dents in sheetrock walls. That seems like a more likely candidate for rib cracking!
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)