Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Magic Nursery Babies - Mattel  (Read 32648 times)

Offline EdenEye

Magic Nursery Babies - Mattel
« on: Wednesday 24 March 2010, 05:40 am »
Hi I would love it if you did a page on Magic Nursery Babies. Those are one of my favorite from when I was a child and I just found one today at the thrift store! So exciting! Lol.

Also, I think you should have a section on your website all about you! We don't know anything about you. Let us know who you are and what you collect and why you started this awesome website.

Let me know what you think!

Eden
« Last Edit: Sunday 09 May 2010, 06:51 pm by Ghost Of The Doll »

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
Re: Request for New additions to the Website
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 March 2010, 02:43 am »
I know that the Mattel Magic Nursery Babies were large dolls... but they also had a line similar to the scale of Oodles (LJN) and the Magic Diaper Babies (Galoob) that you could also maybe make a guide for?

It came in the dissolving bag. I only ever had one. I believe mine came in a box (it was small and did not advertise twins or triplets - just one baby). The picture of the loose one with all of its accessories is mine. The MIB one is a pic that I saved off of eBay.

Also, I know you're working on the So Small Babies by Galoob. How about doing the Teeny Tiny Tumbles Surprise dolls as well? They were out in around 1996 and made by Toy Biz. They also have the same look and are often asked about. They came with little blankets/mats that are often confused for other toy sets.
« Last Edit: Monday 29 March 2010, 09:35 pm by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline EdenEye

« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 March 2010, 07:57 pm »
Wow, I never knew those were Magic Nursery Babies. Now I know there were babies, toddlers, kids, animals and those tiny babies. Must have been a successful line. I had a baby as a kid and I loved it!

Offline mouse

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 2010, 12:28 pm »
Are these Magic Nursery Babies the same as Li'l Babies made by mattel? They came in blind packs - plastic (so not dissolveable) and each included one figure and a little pamphlet showing other babies you could get. They also came with little felt accessories.

Check out these from France. I don't think we ever got the crazy coloured ones in Aus.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120556372137&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120556372191&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120556372229&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Offline zuse

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 April 2010, 06:26 pm »
I *think* that the Li'l Babies were just using the Oodles molds, without the loop at the top? Basically Hasbro stole the mold from LJN.

http://www.yowiemaggi.com/even_more_am/lil_babies.htm

I have some of those with their clothes.

http://www.yowiemaggi.com/even_more_nz/oodles.htm

Sounds like the Oodles were related to the Magic Diaper Babies...? (I always liked those better... more detail and color).

Oodles:

Li'l Baby
« Last Edit: Sunday 18 April 2010, 09:34 pm by zuse »

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline zuse

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 2010, 06:35 pm »

I don't know what these are either (GT Toys?) Something I saved off of eBay a long time ago (when I was still looking for what my toy was and didn't know it was a Magic Nursery figurine).

Update: Nevermind. I guess that was just another name for Magic Diaper Babies. This one says Galoob. Both packages have French and English.

« Last Edit: Sunday 18 April 2010, 09:30 pm by zuse »

Offline zuse

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 April 2010, 09:30 pm »
I love the Magic Nursery Babies dolls because they came with shoes that were the same mold as My Child dolls. I got a doll for super cheap at the thrift store just because I wanted to learn more about the dolls. Then I ended up selling just her shoes for $60!

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 2010, 09:47 pm »
Also, I know you're working on the So Small Babies by Galoob. How about doing the Teeny Tiny Tumbles Surprise dolls as well? They were out in around 1996 and made by Toy Biz. They also have the same look and are often asked about. They came with little blankets/mats that are often confused for other toy sets.

Ooh ooh ooh! I was OBSESSED with Teeny Tiny Tumbles Surprise when I was little--I remember wanting the original Baby Tumbles Suprise but when I saw the tiny ones at my local discount store all packaged together I had to have them. They're very cute and I remember their little mats. I recently found the headstand one and she's on my desk right now, she's blue with blonde pigtails. I think I had four--another one that was fushchia with brown hair, one that was yellow with brown hair, and one other one i can't remember.
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)
-Lady Lovely Locks Seek & Peek board game
-Used/nude Fashionista Ken

Offline zap18

« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 April 2010, 01:07 am »
The magic nursery figures are interesting to me- there are the ones like in the pic that zuse posted, that are uniform in color, and then there are the ones that are painted and came on card, and then there are a myriad of fakies that use their molds.  I'm primarily interested in the painted figures, because they are the ones me and my sister had, but have no idea how many there are- we have rounded up quite a few.  I'd obviously be happy to share what we have :)  They are a line I am less organized on right now though so I will actually have to do some work to get their pictures.

I also like the teeny tiny tumbles surprises- though me and my sister were more about the pets than we were about the dolls :)  I don't have many, but they are a cute line.

Oh, and zuse, you totally solved a mystery for me- I have been wondering why certain magic nursery dolls sell for more :P  And what the deal with the shoes was.  I have been picking up random doll shoes now just to see which ones will draw attention, lol.  Magic nursery shoes= good.  Got it ;)

Offline zuse

« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 April 2010, 01:21 am »
Yeah, mainly the Mary Jane ones. However, I've had select CPK shoes that can be worn by My Child that did very well too (like, white lace-up sneakers for $10). I think that there's a group that's really into customizing My Child dolls. The Magic Nursery shoes I sold actually went to Australia...

http://www.nodecaf.net/Marisa/magicnursery.html

Offline zap18

« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 April 2010, 01:38 am »
Well that's excellent news.  I've gotten a couple nice pairs of CPK shoes in case the My Child collectors weren't too picky :P  I had figured out that they were part of the reason the price was high (all the magic nursery shoes had "my child" in the title), but I didn't know the magic nursery shoes were the actual same mold.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how my CPK shoes do now.  And I'm definitely on the hunt for some of those Mary Janes :P

Offline mouse

« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 April 2010, 03:10 am »
The guy who created the oodles toys also created the magic diaper babies toys (that's the link) and yeah mattel stole the Li'l babies/magic nursery moul from oodles but just removed the loop.

Zap - the ones Zuse posted that are on the card must be magic diaper babies fakies.

Offline zuse

« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 April 2010, 03:19 am »
I don't think the Magic Babies are fakies. They seem to just be through a different distributor (another country?)

The carded one has both the GT logo and the Galoob logo.

Offline zap18

« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 April 2010, 05:30 am »
The Magic Nursery pvcs are entirely different molds than the Oodles/Lil babies line.  The one zuse posted isn't fake (I own a similar set myself).  The magic nursery pvcs come the two different ways- painted and unpainted.  It is the unpainted ones like the one zuse posted that sometimes get confused with oodles because of the uniform flesh tone baby look :P

Not fakies, and not technically related in any way to Oodles.  Here is a pic of the way they appear when painted:  

*edit*  I reread the thread and I guess we aren't distinguishing enough between Magic Diaper and Magic Nursery babies.  I don't think either are fakies though :P  The MOC zuse posted I believe she said were alternate country versions of the Magic Diaper babies? 

Um... I dunno what I'm arguing any more :P
« Last Edit: Monday 19 April 2010, 05:34 am by zap18 »

Offline zuse

« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 April 2010, 05:37 am »
First were the Oodles by LJN. Which were copied by Hasbro (Li'l Babies)

I think we were arguing about the Magic Babies vs. Magic Diaper Babies (which I think are the same). Those are the branch off of the Baby Face dolls by Galoob.

Magic Nursery figures are the branch of the Mattel doll line. I didn't know that they had a painted version!
« Last Edit: Monday 19 April 2010, 05:39 am by zuse »

anything
anything