Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Pound Puppy-esque Plush Dalmatian?  (Read 5920 times)

Offline rainsweet

Pound Puppy-esque Plush Dalmatian?
« on: Saturday 14 January 2012, 06:48 am »
Hello! I've been a fan of this great useful site a long time, and now I'm here to ask for a little help!

Everyone has that one toy that was their best imaginary friend as a kid, and this little guy is mine. His name is Poochie (named after another canine hero I was fond of at the time! :3), and he's been with me through a lot. He was white once, and he's also had some cosmetic work done, as you can see (we had to remake one of his ears after my dog got to him, and his eyes have been repainted several times now, though I do know he originally had eyes similar to the ones he has now!). His tush tag's been gone forever, too, so no hope of IDing him that way, either.

He's made of the same fabric that Galoob-era Pound Puppies are, and even his pattern is a little similar, but having been a fan of the toys and animation as a kid, I know he definitely isn't one. I also know that I got him in the early 90's, no later than '95 or '96. I think I might have a vague memory of him originally coming in an open cardboard box that miiiiight have been red? But that could honestly be my imagination, ha ha. Has anyone ever seen anything like him before? I'd be so grateful if I could solve this mystery and learn his heritage, ha ha. Thanks for taking the time to read!

[edit to add larger version of photo - zuse]
« Last Edit: Sunday 15 January 2012, 07:13 am by zuse »

Offline Rachel-Eyes

Re: Pound Puppy-esque Plush Dalmatian?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 2012, 04:00 am »
About how big is he?

He reminds me of a toy set I had when I was small that was a parent plush dog with two puppies. There were some spaces in the box they came in as if there were more puppies that had been ripped out and stolen, so I have no idea what they looked like or how they were posed. While my toys were not dalmatians but something more along the lines or terriers or boxers, they do look very similar to the eyes, smile, and general style of your little Poochie. I'm thinking that if he's about 2-3 inches, he could be one of the puppies, but that's only if they're the same line.

If he DOES come from the line that I just described, I would pinpoint the date around 1994. I was in kindergarten when I was rewarded some kind of good behavior or good grade coupon and got to pick out a toy at this old department store back in the day called Hills. Mom tried to get me to pick something else that wasn't half-stolen, but when you're five and you neeeeeed a toy, then that's the one you're going to have. I remember the "daddy" was named Charlie and the pups were Squishy and Squashy, and they were a step family to those Puppy Surprise fakies by Dandee. I actually did an MS Paint doodle a while ago about the way I used to play with them, so if I find it, I'll post it and see if that jogs a memory.

Calling all teddy experts! Please help me find my Cuddle Bear!

Offline mouse

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 2012, 07:04 am »
Looks quite a bit like bow wow boutique http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/Toys_BowWowBoutique.htm

Offline GryffindorHermione

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 2012, 05:45 am »
Could he be one of the puppies from Disney's 101 Dalmatians? I don't know what company or companies would have made them, but they were put out in the early 90s. I was big-time into them when they came out, and he looks very similar to some of the ones I had.

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 2012, 08:16 am »
I still haven't found anything that even reminds me of your plush. Those eyes seem to be pretty unique. I wonder if it was some kind of cartoon character?

Anybody else recognize this dog?
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline Skyhorse82

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 2012, 10:02 am »
Hi again, Mum brought down a box of things this weekend for me to go through and I found my sister's fake pound puppy among the lot. I was pretty excited because I think it is probably similar to your dog in many ways and when I first saw yours, it immediately made me think of ours. We got this particular dog at a cheap $1 store in the late 90s. You can view 3 photos of him here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111969355407226589379/Unidentified80s90sToys?authkey=Gv1sRgCNb_1K3-vtqySg#5718576809207640914

His tag reads 'Sunville Corp'. He is so similar to a pound puppy, cartoon-ish, and made from the same materials (nose is falling off, but it looks a lot like the same dull-sheen plastic that your dogs nose is made of). He is only small, about 20 cm long; doesn't have stitched detail in paws, is grey with black markings, whisker spots and his mouth is pulled in at the corners to form a sheepish smile.
« Last Edit: Sunday 11 March 2012, 10:26 am by Skyhorse82 »

Offline iheartkatamari

• Keeper of the Fun
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 August 2012, 07:35 am »
Recently I bought four(also Pound Puppy-esque) Dalmatians made by a company called Toy Things, which bear a resemblance to your Dalmatian. I'm not sure whether or not your Dalmatian is the same brand, but I've included a picture for reference.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-udlY2hE4cSagOIDeyP7tNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

« Last Edit: Wednesday 15 August 2012, 03:28 am by zuse »

anything