Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: 1990s Soft Baby Doll With Vinyl Face & Hands  (Read 10131 times)

Offline Nonnavlis

• My Little Pony Collector
1990s Soft Baby Doll With Vinyl Face & Hands
« on: Wednesday 30 May 2012, 04:31 am »
Hello there everyone~ I'm hoping to ask for your help in identifying my younger sister's babydolls from her childhood. They are from the 90s, and are Canadian (but they may have been in the US to?). My sister was born in 96 and I believe has had one since that time (We are both to old to remember now). I know they were produced for a few years after that, because we each distinctly remember her clipping a picture of one of her 'dollies' from a toy flyer. I would say she was about three at the time.

These are the dolls. She has a whole hamper full, so I can take many pictures if necessary. The URLs lead to larger pictures.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w308/horsiepie761514/DSCF9940.jpg

You may not be able to tell very well from the pictures, but they came in many different patterns, and also two different types of fabric. A flat polyester and a shiny fabric like you might see on a Puffalump kid. They remind me a lot of Puffalumps, actually (But unless anyone can definitively say Puffalumps came with vinyl hands, they are not Puffalumps). I presume they are a knockoff. The faces are a squishy vinyl, while the hands are a hard vinyl. Each doll has a curl of blonde hair that can be brushed at the top of her face under her ruffle, and a soft, disc shaped squeaker somewhere inside her. Some of them have bows across the breast of their rompers (which were prone to falling off), others have lace collars and cuffs (Cheap, scratchy lace), or just lace cuffs on some of the dolls.

The dolls came in two sizes, which are both represented in this picture.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w308/horsiepie761514/DSCF9945.jpg

And here as compared to my hand so you can get a rough size idea.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w308/horsiepie761514/DSCF9947.jpg

Here is a close up of the face on one of the larger dolls. The face on the smaller one is the same, just smaller.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w308/horsiepie761514/DSCF9943.jpg

Thank you so much for reading my post! Any help you might have in identifying this doll is most appreciated~
« Last Edit: Wednesday 30 May 2012, 04:48 am by Nonnavlis »

Offline TheMinorityof1990

Re: 1990s Soft Baby Doll With Vinyl Face & Hands
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 2012, 09:14 pm »
Mum thinks they're Fisher Price dolls. I'm looking up information now.

Offline TheMinorityof1990

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 May 2012, 09:20 pm »
I found a page for Puffalump Dolls. It's what Mum was thinking of, and they do look very simaliar to your dolls.

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/fisher-price/dept-2-dolls-stuffed-animals/d-puffalump-purrtender/A-puff-index.html

There's the link. Hope this helps.

Offline Nonnavlis

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 May 2012, 10:17 pm »
I also thought they must be Puffalump Kids! XD. Sadly, they aren't Puffalump Kids (Puffalump Kids have cloth, mitten-shaped hands) and I haven't seen another similar doll from Fisher Price.

Thank you, though!
« Last Edit: Wednesday 30 May 2012, 10:18 pm by Nonnavlis »

Offline elbs326

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 May 2012, 12:59 am »
In 1992 or 1993 I bought my daughter a doll much like this same materials and a little fluff of hair coming out from her bonnet. She was Fisher Price. 

Offline Nonnavlis

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 May 2012, 02:57 am »
That was likely still a Puffalump doll, but I'll definitely look into it again. Thank you~

Offline elbs326

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 May 2012, 04:07 am »
http://dirtybutter.com/plushcatalog/images/source/fisherpricepuffalumpkidsmerristripedoll.jpg

Heres a link to ours.  I still have it but found this pic of it online.  I also read that in 1992 Fisher PRice sued a NY doll co called Well Made Toy co for knocking off the puffalump kids. 

Offline Nonnavlis

« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 May 2012, 05:20 am »
Yup, that's a Puffalump. I wish my sister would just take a liking to them instead XD.

Thanks for the info about the court case, that was new to me. Still not the right doll, but it did find me some leads to one of my sisters other baby dolls.

Offline SarahOlivier6

« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 January 2013, 04:46 am »
I have some exactly like it, and we call them squeaky dolls, I think that they are fisher price dolls, they don't make them anymore unfortuanly, I had four of and actually still do.

Offline MsTwilight

« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 January 2013, 05:05 pm »
Definitely Puffalump kid knock offs. I still see similar dolls for sale at stores like Dollar General and Family Dollar near the holidays. 

Offline Ecikin

« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 March 2013, 01:35 am »
I bought a couple of this lovely dollies for my daughter. I can definitely recognize them. They brought a lot of companionship and childhood memories to my daughter.

I bought them from Zellers. They cost less than $10 when on sale. I bought them because they looked charming and were safe to hold. The only modification I did was to cut away that small curly on their forehead when I found that my daughter chewed on them.

You may wish to hurry up to Zellers to see if there are still any left - before all the Zellers closed down ...