Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: [ID: Various - see post!] Unidentified mermaids  (Read 33940 times)

Offline BattySparkles

[ID: Various - see post!] Unidentified mermaids
« on: Friday 19 March 2010, 07:24 am »
This mermaid was given to me by a friend who said she got it from a thrift store. So that is no help. She has absolutely no markings, so no help there either. She has no articulation.
UPDATE!!! I was informed by a stranger on Flickr that this mermaid came in a shampoo bottle and that there were other sea animals available! One step closer to an ID!

ID: Sea Critters Mermaid Shampoo

The following have been identified as "Mermaids" by "MTC" (Multi Toy Corp.)

ID: Mermaids, produced by Multi Toy Corp

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merwing/429837211/
« Last Edit: Saturday 27 November 2010, 12:34 pm by Ghost Of The Doll »

Offline pikapal

Re: Unidentified mermaids
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 March 2010, 11:00 pm »
I have that same red haired mermaid toy. If I remember correctly I think they were only sold at Toys R Us. That is the only place I remember seeing them for sale. I think I have the packaging around here somewhere. If I happen to come across it I'll post it. I do remember that the mermaid came in a plastic bag that had a blue "watery" window that you could see the mermaid in. There were many different styles. Including dark skinned ones. I also remember the other side of the bag had some anime like mermaids on it. They sort of looked like Marina from the Saban Little Mermaid cartoon.

Offline BattySparkles

Re: Unidentified mermaids
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 March 2010, 11:43 pm »
Cool! Thanks for the information! I hope you can find her packaging! I love Saban's Adventures of the Little Mermaid! Do you happen to own any toys from it? I remember seeing some kind of toys when I was little but haven't found anything in my searches.

Offline pikapal

Re: Unidentified mermaids+Added another to the list!
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 2010, 09:50 am »
No, sorry I don't have any Saban's Adventures of the Little Mermaid toys.

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 March 2010, 10:24 am »
That's ok. I just always have my eye out.

Offline zap18

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 March 2010, 11:44 pm »
These mermaids are actually something I have been wondering about too.  I have pictures of the ones I have below, and you'll notice how the head mold changes from the one with earrings to one without, which shares the same head mold as the girls in dresses that I've also posted.  I don't know where any of them came from or how they are related, but I would love to.

I also have a different color variant of the mermaid holding the ball.  I got her at a thrift store and don't have a clue where she is from, but like with the others, I would love to find out!

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 March 2010, 08:41 am »
Thanks so much for the pictures zap! It's great just to see them again! I remember having both blue ones, but on separate occasions. I must have had two sets at different times. I'd really like to buy some of these mermaids if anyone has any or sale or knows where I can buy them.

Offline zap18

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 March 2010, 10:07 pm »
I'll keep a look out for you!  I run into them every now and again :)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 March 2010, 03:23 am »
Thanks! ^-^ Do you collect mermaids in particular? It seems like you do. If so, do you have an album of them I can look at? I love mermaids! :D
« Last Edit: Monday 22 March 2010, 02:51 pm by BattySparkles »

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 March 2010, 02:49 pm »
Found an image of some more of those mermaids on Flickr! http://www.flickr.com/photos/canker_canison/3645740706/sizes/l/
I just love these!

Offline zap18

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 March 2010, 05:30 pm »
Wow, impressive sleuthing!  I wonder how many of these there are going to be!

In regards to collecting mermaids... I collect just about everything 80s/90s toy, lol.  I can't think of too many other mystery mermaids that I have- I have the Soma Mermaid Island dolls (except for one), lots of My Pretty Mermaid (loved these growing up), a few Merwees, and lots of Disney Little Mermaid pvcs and dolls.  That's all that springs to mind, nothing as unusual as what we are talking about in this thread, and no album for them just now :P

Not a bad idea though!

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 March 2010, 06:11 pm »
Off-Topic:

I have toys from the Saban Mermaid cartoon! I don't think I have pics, though? I feel like I got them at the dollar store when I was younger. They're molded figures in squishy plastic. (you know, with the little hole in the bottom like a rubber ducky). I have one of the mermaid sitting on a rock. And one of the prince standing (kind of a bit of ground as the base). <3
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 March 2010, 05:10 am »
oh my! I'm jealous of you zuse! Do you think you could take pictures? I would love to see them! And heck! If anyone else is reading this and collects mermaid toys I'd love to see them! ^-^ I've started a flickr and photobucket to host my collection pics if anyone wants to see.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/battycollector/
http://s908.photobucket.com/home/BattyCollector

and let me know if you start an album zap! ^-^

Offline zuse

• Zuse's Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 March 2010, 07:07 am »
I'm away at school now, so no pictures. :(

Mermaid-wise when I was younger I had the Ariel Barbie doll and this one dollar store mermaid that was in a sitting (for a mermaid) pose. She had a peach shell bra painted on and a green tail that was a bit of a gel-like texture. She was blonde. I still have her and I think another one I found at a thrift store. Back when I was small she, Ariel, a cheap dollar store mermaid Barbie, and an old Sea Wees baby I had got to be sisters, haha.

Recently I got some more cartoon looking ones (small with colors like dark purple, orange, and magenta). They're by one of those cheap brands sold at grocery store chains. :)
« Last Edit: Wednesday 24 March 2010, 07:11 am by zuse »
Check out my Vintage Littlest Pet Shop Guide!

Hey, check out Bing Rewards. I've earned several $5 Amazon gift cards using it. :)

Offline BattySparkles

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 March 2010, 08:55 am »
I had that exact same blond/sitting one you are talking about I think! I want to find her again one day too. I believe she's a version of this mermaid: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pretty-Mermaid-Doll-Pink-Hair_W0QQitemZ230450793583QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a7f00c6f

It's so fun to hear about everyone's mermaids! :D