Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Share your thrift store finds!  (Read 102153 times)

Offline TheMinorityof1990

Re: Share your thrift store finds!
« Reply #135 on: Thursday 06 September 2012, 10:12 pm »
Oh, that's cool. :) Thanks.

I went on holiday and I bought two The Dog McD toys and a pound puppy and I also found a pound puppy like pencil topper. He was free. I need an ID on him, so I'll post a photo ASAP

« Reply #136 on: Sunday 16 September 2012, 10:04 pm »
I found an LPS plushie rabbit today. Pics soon.

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #137 on: Friday 21 September 2012, 03:49 am »
Not that I plan to actively seek out these and collect these, but I couldn't resist.  I found My Little Pony Sugar Sweet for 40 cents today.  She's got the 40 cents written on her in Sharpie (it's what this thrift store does, but I've gotten their Sharpie price off a Cabbage Patch Kid's neck, so this can't be much different), a sticky green mess on the side of her neck, a blue paint streak on her horn, and her hair needs to be restyled into ringlets.  Amazing though that the symbols and eyes are perfect, no marks.  I'm up for the challenge.

She still has the scent though.  Cool!

I still have my My Little Ponies from being a kid.  Most were baby ponies or Summer Wings.  I only had 2 adult ponies, and they came from the Party Pack gift set.
« Last Edit: Friday 21 September 2012, 03:53 am by luckdragon »

Offline RBSprite82

« Reply #138 on: Tuesday 25 September 2012, 02:32 am »
Not that I plan to actively seek out these and collect these, but I couldn't resist.  I found My Little Pony Sugar Sweet for 40 cents today.  She's got the 40 cents written on her in Sharpie (it's what this thrift store does, but I've gotten their Sharpie price off a Cabbage Patch Kid's neck, so this can't be much different), a sticky green mess on the side of her neck, a blue paint streak on her horn, and her hair needs to be restyled into ringlets.  Amazing though that the symbols and eyes are perfect, no marks.  I'm up for the challenge.

She still has the scent though.  Cool!

I still have my My Little Ponies from being a kid.  Most were baby ponies or Summer Wings.  I only had 2 adult ponies, and they came from the Party Pack gift set.

You should show before and after pics.. =)

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #139 on: Wednesday 26 September 2012, 01:07 am »
Sure, no problem.
Sugar Sweet before (the blue paint was on the front of her face and horn; didn't get a picture, but was really easy to scratch off with my fingernail):

Sugar Sweet after:

Her left side still has some smudging from the Sharpie (when I washed it off, a bit got on the washcloth and stained a small part of her front right leg and still has some faint traces of it under her symbol).  Can't seem to get it off.  I think her hair turned out well though.  I didn't realize that they ever did ringlets on My Little Ponies until I went to ID this one on Dream Valley.

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #140 on: Wednesday 26 September 2012, 01:09 pm »
GREAT JOB!!!

« Reply #141 on: Sunday 30 September 2012, 08:30 am »
Hey, I actually have that sky dancer. She's sitting on my windowsil atm.

Offline emlou

« Reply #142 on: Sunday 07 October 2012, 02:58 pm »

Hi all i haven't had any finds in a while but got my hands on some things today! Luckily for me my 4 year old son likes helping me look, he has claimed the madballs rude ralph head!

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h393/emlou147/?action=view&current=bootyfinds.jpg

Offline Rider of the storm

« Reply #143 on: Sunday 21 October 2012, 12:06 am »
I was able to get to the salvation army store near my home town the bad news is that they got rid of their toy section and now only have a few crates on the floor . I am afraid that they will not longer have toys any more . I did manage to find one toy it it was 69  cents but she is missing all of her parts but I am happy I finale found some thing for once. Next door at the antique store there was a nosy bear but they wanted five dollars for it and it needed a bath.

« Last Edit: Sunday 21 October 2012, 12:11 am by Rider of the storm »

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #144 on: Monday 10 December 2012, 08:40 pm »
I found a My Child doll at a thrift store on Thursday, December 6th!  This is my 15th My Child doll, and it's my favorite outfit!

She was $2.12.

Picture before restoration:

Picture after restoration:

The bear was still attached to her hand, and the outfit was complete.  The bears get lost easily, so it's wonderful to find the bear!  The bear's worth about as much as the outfit is without the bear.

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #145 on: Tuesday 11 December 2012, 01:52 pm »
Oh, wow! What were the steps that you took to make this transformation happen. I'm especially interested in how you fixed her hair! She looks awesome! :D

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #146 on: Tuesday 11 December 2012, 08:54 pm »
I soaked her outfit (everything but her diaper and bear) in water with a bit of detergent and Borax overnight.  Then, I spot treated the stains on the bib and the front bit of the sleeper.  I had to do a little bit of bleaching on the bib to get the stains out (the bear on the bib is not faded, it was cloudy the day I took the after shot, and the camera flash reflected off the bear).

For the doll, I used baby shampoo on her hair after cutting the weird hair ties out that a child had put in (the hair was severely tangled around them).   After washing with the baby shampoo, I put some conditioner in and left it five minutes before rinsing it out.  Her body was clean because the outfit had never been removed, so just her face and hands needed cleaning.  For that, I used a wash cloth, wet with some baby shampoo and then rinsed the face under the sink.  I used the part of the wash cloth without soap to rinse the hands (they barely needed it).

I set her aside to dry and spot cleaned the bear with the wash cloth with baby shampoo and set it aside to dry.

Once she was mostly dry, I blow dried her hair and combed with a dog brush from the dollar store (pin type, not the one I use on my actual dog).  Pin type dog brushes are excellent with doll hair.  When I did that, I discovered her part was fully intact as were the bangs' part.  I pulled the bangs forward, brushed the hair back into pigtails, and secured with hair ties, then tied ribbons in them.

For the makeup, I used Prisma colored pencils and just touched it up.

This doll had severe facial sagging, so I took a needle and thread and gave her a face lift from one ear to the next, all the way across the hair line, using blind stitch.  Then, I did a chin tuck along her neck with blind stitching to pull the skin tight.

I then cut a new ribbon for the bear and tied it over its old ribbon to protect it from further fraying.

This was my first time doing a face lift on one (4th time doing a chin tuck).  It was one of the simplest, if not the simplest hair redos I've done.  I was surprised that the bangs were even still separate.  Reweaving this hair style isn't too bad though, I'd rather do it than say a curly piggies or a V-part *shudders*.

Offline Mysstica

« Reply #147 on: Tuesday 11 December 2012, 09:38 pm »
I thank you for the time that it took you to type all of that. Like I said, she looks amazing. :D

If I ever get another hair dryer, I will do this with one of my dolls. :D

You did an amazing job!!!!!!

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #148 on: Tuesday 11 December 2012, 11:37 pm »
Thanks!  ;)

Offline luckdragon

« Reply #149 on: Friday 15 February 2013, 07:17 pm »
Went to a thrift store today.  This store bags random toys together, and I found a bag with the following inside:

-Minnie Mouse rubbery bank (about 5 inches tall) - looks like it's from the 1970s
-1974 Wolfpit Pocket Doll.  It was this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1974-Wolfpit-Pocket-Doll-6-Tall-Yellow-Hair-Free-Shipping-/121061720173?pt=US_Dolls_Bears_Toys&hash=item1c2fd7406d
Missing 1 eye, but that will be easy to fix.
-Strawberry Shortcake Apple Dumpling (missing hat, 1 sock, and turtle, but I have my childhood one that's complete)
-Strawberry Shortcake Lemon Meringue (complete!)  I didn't have Lemon Meringue when I was little.
-Kindles doll Gleami (tried a battery in her, and she works)
-Kindles doll Lady of the Light (not sure if she works because I can't figure out which way the battery goes and which position the switch should go in)
-1985 Ramona Reindeer from Burger King
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Vintage-1986-Hallmark-Cards-Christmas-Ramona-Reindeer-Plush-Doll-5-/360591883673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f4f37d99
I have at least 2 Ramonas...maybe 3.  I buy them almost every time I see them because I collect Hallmark Keepsake ornaments, and Ramona is a Hallmark character.

Very successful bag.  Donating the bank (the bank had a cute little Happy birthday pin inside it, aww), keeping the rest.  I loved Strawberry Shortcake as a kid, and if I ever have children, I would like to pass them along.  The Kindles, I didn't have or really know about, but the dolls are quite pretty, especially the Lady of the Light.  I'll probably give the Pocket doll to my mom because she's got a few Holly Hobbies, and it reminds me of them.

I saw 3 Pound Purries and 1 Pound Puppy there too.  Didn't buy them (even though they were like 40 cents a piece).  I try to avoid stuffed animals because of the dust factor. 

Oh!  The bag costs *drum roll* $3.13!  I think I scored quite the bargain!

Edit:  Lady of the Light works!  I wasn't pressing the switch hard enough.
« Last Edit: Friday 15 February 2013, 07:28 pm by luckdragon »