Powder Monki ~ Retro Badges & Magnets

Author Topic: Share your thrift store finds!  (Read 102730 times)

Offline EricaVee

Share your thrift store finds!
« on: Friday 19 March 2010, 09:46 pm »
I thought it would be fun to start a thread where people could report what toys they've gotten or just seen recently at thrift stores, yard sales, online venues, ect.  :) I know that I love to share a good find, and I think it would also be helpful to know what's out there.

Today at a local thrift store I got a pink Mattel bunny that I knew I'd seen online. It turned out to be one of the PJ Sparkles animals! Adorable. I've been really interested in PJ Sparkles since I started researching 80's and 90's toys online--I didn't have her as a kid (I was a child of the 90's) but I know I would have LOVED her if I did, and if I ever found her at a yard sale or something I would definitely get her. It's just something about that big, pink, plastic bow.  ;D
« Last Edit: Friday 19 March 2010, 09:48 pm by EricaVee »
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)
-Lady Lovely Locks Seek & Peek board game
-Used/nude Fashionista Ken

Offline ianthe99

Re: Share your thrift store finds!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 March 2010, 11:22 pm »
Ooh! Those PJ Sparkles plush are worth a bit of money, I think.

I find things all the time.. Old My Little Pony, Hugga Bunch, Strawberry shortcake stuff.. A couple of weeks ago, I actually found 2 My Child Dolls in their original outfits! Lat week it was 22 vintage MLP! (My FAVORITE!)

Offline zap18

« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 2010, 02:19 am »
I couldn't even begin to list all the incredible finds I've had!  The two most recent big ones are a 36" Tenderheart bear for $3 and a vintage deluxe Strawberry Shortcake miniature.  Those were pretty darn exciting!

I have to agree on the pj sparkles- they are worth quite a bit.  I had one growing up and have found some since to keep, but I've sold off two extras, one for around $40 and one for around $70.  That was a great find!

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 2010, 03:53 am »
Oh my. I just checked eBay and the cheapest one is listed for $84.99. O.O And it's also missing its little heart tag. The yellow bunny is going for $125!  Not bad for my first thrift store find. :D Thanks for letting me know, guys! <3
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)

Offline jenniferf82

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 March 2010, 05:47 am »
Hehe, I found a Starbrite Sparkles today.. Not as exciting as the bunny, but, hey she was only 99 cents and one I didn't have..
I think I have all the plastic dolls now..
I go thrifting a few times a weeks, so I've found tons of stuff. Though around here there's a lot less vintage and a lot more Disney plush.

Offline Whispersofthewind

« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 March 2010, 12:44 am »
er, lots of things. recently, on the top of my head: sea wee's, hollywoods, liddle kiddle doll, tons of care bears, yellow sparklin bunny (but she didnt sell for much of anything on ebay when i listed her!), my little ponies (vintage and new), vintage barbies and clothes, two vintage SSC dolls i forget who, other vintage dolls and clothing (tammy,pepper)

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 March 2010, 04:42 am »
That sounds like great stuff! I really wish I could find more dolls around here. My local thrift stores seem to be really heavy on the stuffed animals.
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)

Offline jenniferf82

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 March 2010, 04:45 am »
That's how ours is, finding dolls is uncommon other then all those porcelain dolls from the 90's.. Blegh..
Mostly it's plush, which I don't really mind, but most of it is Disney plush. Tons of Disney plush and very little older stuff..
Oh well, makes it more exciting when you do find something!

Offline 80s Toy Junkie Tiff

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 April 2010, 10:13 pm »
I love to hear about good finds at cheap prices. I found my first MLP Bushwoolie at a flea market for 50 cents. My second MLP Bushwoolie I found at a yard sale for 10 cents! Both are in excellent condition. My best find ever.... so far.... a My Little Pony MIMIC at a church sale for 25 cents in excellent condition with original ribbon! 

Offline mouse

« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 April 2010, 02:42 pm »
I recently got a large Alf plush for Au $2.99 and a Brambley Hedge book (Summer Story) for $1

Offline EricaVee

« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 April 2010, 07:45 pm »
Found the Bluebird Cinderella castle today while actually looking for practical things.  :P It has no accessories but it's really pretty. I'm having fun trying to figure out how it work and all the little secret compartments, although I give myself another seven minutes before I go and look it up.

I wish my favorite thrift store wouldn't bag items, there's only ever one big $5 Barbie bag there and this time there was a fairytopia doll with lavender hair and eyes that I reeeeeally wanted mixed in with some Bratz and random dolls I didn't need. Wahhh.  :(

Edit: Yeah, it was more like one minute.  :P It turns out that it's not the standard Cinderella castle, it's pink see-through plastic instead, I don't know why they made the change but I think it's prettier. Hooray!
« Last Edit: Monday 12 April 2010, 08:24 pm by EricaVee »
Wish List!
-Any Merwees (CAP Toys)

Offline jenniferf82

« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 April 2010, 04:56 am »
Went to my favorite flea market this week and it was only about half the regular vendors!  >:(

Wonder where in the world they all went? I bet there's a superawesome "made of nothing but win" flea market that I haven't heard of. It's top secret..

Instead of filling my car like I usually do (mostly with plush, not cool 80's stuff) we ended up with just a couple items.
Best thing being a Super Nintendo for $10. BUT, also got a pound puppy and a Frou Frou. Passed up a SSC rag doll because I didn't know if she was worth $5 without her clothes, BUT, looked her up at home and she goes for $15 without clothes cause it was Raspberry Tart.. Grr..  I knew I would kick myself for not buying her!
Also got one of those TNT mermaids. Was someone from here looking for one? It's got blond hair and a blue tail.

Offline zap18

« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 April 2010, 03:52 pm »
I have been on a ROLL lately.  I got the SSC Very Berry Home at a flea market (much bigger than I expected... fitting it in my toy displays is an unexpected but happy challenge), Mimic MLP from a flea market dealer who brought ponies for me and my sister to go through, and... drum roll... a Blythe doll.  I already had Mimic, so she went to a friend, and I don't collect Blythe or dolls of her style (even though she is pretty cool the way her eyes change color), so she is on ebay now.  To make me the moneyz.  To buy me more toys :P

Oh, and lots of smaller but pretty cool finds as well.  Hooray!

Offline mouse

« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 April 2010, 04:33 pm »
You lucky ducky! If you like Blythe you can always use the money you make to buy one of the cheaper newer ones!

vanillascoop

« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 April 2010, 08:29 pm »

anything